Harley-Davidson ‘fearful’ about new motorcycle safety rules, says it’s ‘too early’ to tell if it’ll stay on track

Harley-Davidsons chief executive James Watson said it was “too early” to say if the company would stay on course for the second half of the year.

Harley-Shoes chief executive Peter Dolan said there were no plans to put any of the company’s brands on the safety radar for the foreseeable future.

Harley has been forced to admit it has a “small, small percentage” of motorcycles that have failed safety tests since the beginning of the calendar year.

The new rules will be phased in from January 1, but there is currently no specific timeline for when the new measures will be rolled out. 

But Harley said it would be “very premature” to rule out the use of the new standards. 

“We know that the regulations are very complex and we’re just in the early stages of this process, and we haven’t made any final decisions about our business plans for the year,” Mr Dolan told the ABC. 

Harley-Davides safety rules “will have an impact on a number of things”, including the performance of motorcycles, motorcycle components and the supply chain, he said. 

However, he admitted the company was “not in a position to say how we would do” with the new rules. 

Mr Dolan, speaking to the ABC in a telephone interview, said the company had “no plans” to stop production of its motorcycles. 

The changes were introduced after the Government’s Consumer Safety Advisory Committee recommended them last month. 

‘Huge change’Harley’s decision comes as the Government and the Competition and Consumer Commission are reviewing the introduction of the Safety Standards Act. 

Facing mounting public concern about the potential impact on motorcycle sales, Mr Dohan said the new motorcycle regulations would “be a huge change”.

“We don’t know how it will impact on our business, we don’t have any specific forecasts for how it would impact on the business,” he said in the interview. 

Asked whether the changes would affect the Harley-brand, he replied: “I’m not going to comment on that because we’re still at the very early stages”.

Mr Dohan added that Harley-Bond was not considering changes to its motorcycles, saying the company “is in the process of getting through a very complex process”. 

He said the government would be following the recommendations of the committee and Harley-Labs, which has a similar process to review the rules.

Mr Dankson said the decision to introduce the new safety rules would not affect Harley-davidson’s sales. 

He acknowledged the company faced a “huge change” in terms of the size of its business, but said the industry “was still a big, big business”.

“It’s still a hugely important business, it’s a big part of the world’s motorcycle industry,” he added. 

Earlier, the company announced that its new R1 motorcycle would not be on sale for six months, but it would remain on sale until December. 

Despite the decision, Mr Watson said Harley-Motors sales were strong.

“I don’t think we’re looking at a huge reduction in sales or a drop off,” he told the radio program.

He said Harley was “looking at it as a business decision”.

“If we’re not seeing an increase in sales and we can continue to provide a high level of service, then we’ll continue to do that.” 

He added the new regulation would make it easier for the company to raise money.

“We’re not looking at it in terms, we’re trying to get the regulations right,” he was quoted as saying.

Harley is not the only brand to be hit by the new legislation.

The Government’s National Motorcycle Safety Advisory Group recommended the introduction in January of mandatory motorcycle safety standards and safety rules.

In the past, Harley has supported the introduction, arguing that the company already had standards and had been following them for decades. 

As the new regulations were introduced, the R1 was revealed to have a number problems that could result in it failing safety tests, including a cracked front fairing, a cracked rotor and a broken exhaust system.

But Harley’s Mr Dank said the R2 would not have a problem.

“It is a safe motorcycle, we can assure you,” he replied.

When asked if Harley-Honda would continue to sell its R1 and R2 models, Mr Jankson replied: “No, we are not selling the R3.”

But Mr Danksons comments about the new laws were met with derision by Harley-Riders.

‘It’s a shame’Harly-David said that despite the new Safety Standards Acts, it was still “a massive business”. 

“If you look at what we’ve done over the last 20 years, and all the